Movie used: Field of Dreams (MCA Universal 1988)
Ray Kinsella is an ordinary farmer who heard a strange voice one day. Though not understanding what it means, he took the step of faith and followed it. We Christians may also hear God’s voices which we may consider as strange. Are you the kind who will follow it despite its absurdity or difficulty?
1. Ray said that he wonders sometimes whether his father had dreams but never did anything about them. Do you have a specific calling from God? If not, are you actively seeking it? Perhaps God is not calling you to be a minister but to be something else that is also productive and constructive for the church and His Kingdom. If this is the case, are you willing to go ahead despite its seeming difficulty?
2. Ray received very little instruction (“If you build it, he will come”). This helped cause him to wonder about the authenticity of the voice. The Bible says that God’s word is a lamp unto our feet, which means that it is not supposed to shine very far into the distance (sometimes). What should you do if you feel something really vague from God? Unlike the mysterious voice, God listens and will answer our questions at the proper time.
3. Dr. Sun, the Founding Father of modern China, was a Christian and a medical doctor. One day he realized that as a doctor, he can only save at most thousands of lives. If, however, he becomes a revolutionary and is successful, he can save the 400 million Chinese from the corrupt Manchu Empire. He sensed the calling of his times. Do you see a role that you can play in the modern world? Do you have a duty to your people and your generation? Read the Quote of the Day, and imagine yourself as one of those students trying to construct a new, free France.
4. You may feel very lonely if you feel that you have a vision that no one else shares. Don’t you think that God will provide you with partners in your journey? Ray’s wife, Annie, supported Ray despite not having heard the voice. Why do you think she did this?
5. At the end of the movie, Ray realized that he had misunderstood the voices all along. It was his own dream that was being realized (others’ were just sideshows). Who do you think will benefit from following God’s calling?
Quote of the Day:
Do You Hear the People Sing?
Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me? Beyond the barricade, is there a world you long to see? Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! Will you give all you can give so that our banner may advance? Some will fall, and some will live. Will you stand up and take your chance? The blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of France!
— the Students in Les Misérables