Lesson: What Makes Miracles Happen
Sommerset, PA mining accident (July, 2002)
Nine miners were trapped in a mine by water. Hundreds of rescuers worked
day and night and finally saved all nine after three days.
What could have happened?
- some or all dead from drowning, severe injury, hypothermia, starvation,
What needed to be done?
- drill one or more holes to reach them
- pump water out
- pump warm air in
- lower cage
Could people control the results?
- men safe in an air pocket
- men not sick or injured
- drilling goes well
- rescue equip works
- get to them in time
What happened at the end
- drilled 2 holes
- drills broke twice
- men found alive
- men pulled out
How did this miracle come
- God keep them safe, let things go well
- men trained to survive
- rescue equipment available -- people were prepared
- rescuer trained on what to do
So a miracle comes when God takes care of what men could not do or control,
but people had to do their parts.
This lesson was developed by George Huang. Got a
question or want to publish this lesson? E-mail me.
Last updated: 9/28/2002