Was it wrong for Valjean to want the workers to have good manners in the factory?
What was Valjean's mistake?
- not paying attention to the struggles of his workers (he could have spent some time to get to know them)
- not giving Fontine a chance to explain
This one decision may be one of the most important decisions Valjean had ever made. Because of it, Fontine would die and Valjean would end up taking care of Cosette. Valjean would become a criminal constantly on the run. If it were not for Cosette, he could have started a new life elsewhere much more easily.
Sometimes the decisions that seem very small at the time end up being
the ones that have the most impact:
- Reuben leaving Joseph at the hands of his brothers -> Joseph was sold to Egypt (Gen. 37)
- Moses hit the rock instead of commanding it as the Lord instructed -> Moses was not allowed to lead the Isarelites into Canaan (Num. 20)
- David not brining in the Ark properly -> Uzzah died because of it (2Sam 6)
How do you know how to make the right decisions?
- there tends to be guidelines (from Bible, parents, teachers, etc.)
- take time to care about others just a bit more; you never know how that affects them...
Last updated: 6/24/2000